Carondelet Health Network’s team of rehabilitation specialists help patients with neurological conditions re-learn lost skills and acquire new adaptive skills in order to maximize their independence and regain self-esteem.
For more information, to make an appointment or to have your physician make a referral, please call (520) 873-5847.
TREATMENT TAILORED TO THE INDIVIDUAL
Using an organized, coordinated team approach, we’ll provide care to individuals with a temporary, progressive, or permanent neurological illness or injury that has interrupted or altered the ability to live and function independently.
Common disorders of the nervous system for which we offer specialized treatment programs include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Progressive neuromuscular diseases, such as Parkinson’s Disease, Huntington’s Disease, and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Memory or cognitive disorders, such as Alzheimer’s Disease
- Swallowing disorders or dysphagia
- Spine injuries and disorders
- Infections such as meningitis, encephalitis, polio and post-polio syndrome
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Neuromuscular disorders, including muscular dystrophy
- Neuro-medical conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, Guillian-Barre Syndrome, and epilepsy
What can I expect?
A typical appointment begins with a thorough evaluation. You may be asked questions about your medical history, symptoms and, if it’s an injury-related disorder, the nature of your injury. The activities in each session will help improve your balance, range of motion, mobility, coordination, memory and endurance.
Among Carondelet’s unique approaches to treatment is the use of LiteGait®, a suspension system that allows a therapist to safely move a person from a seated position to a proper upright posture, which permits changes in posture, balance, specific muscular strength and overall gait patterns.
Computer-assisted therapy is used to treat deficits in communication and cognition; and, pool therapy helps facilitate recovery and promote physical well-being through movement in water.
Who will I be working with?
You’ll be placed with a team of healthcare professionals with experience and specialized knowledge of your disorder. Your team will include a combination of: physiatrists (physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation; rehabilitation nurses and psychologists; occupational, physical and speech-language therapists; audiologists; case managers and rehabilitation counselors.
Additionally, Carondelet’s neurorehabilitation staff includes:
- Certified orthopedic and vestibular specialists
- A speech therapist certified in swallowing rehabilitation
- Physical therapists and speech-language therapists certified to work with patients who have Parkinson’s Disease
SERVICES WHEN AND WHERE THEY ARE NEEDED
All service programs are customized by physicians, therapists and nurses specializing in neurological care to meet the individual patient’s needs. Both one-on-one and group therapy options are available.
Patients may receive rehabilitative services in:
- an acute inpatient setting
- the inpatient rehabilitation unit
- outpatient rehabilitation clinics (appointments generally offered Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Patients and their caregivers may also participate in one of Carondelet’s ongoing stroke, brain injury, and communication support groups or classes.