Baked Apples and Pears with Almonds
Savor the sweetness and crunchiness of cooked fruit and the nutty texture of almonds drenched in honey, guilt-free. Use a serrated knife to core the apples and a spoon to dig out the seeds. Bake until tender, but not mushy.
- 4 small Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples and/or pears (can also substitute any variety of apple as available or on sale)
- 1/4 cup unsalted almonds (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Fill a small baking dish with 1/4 inch of water. Set aside.
- Cut ½ inch off the top of the apples. Reserve the tops.
- Using a spoon or paring knife, core out the apples, leaving the bottoms intact.
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, cranberries, and cinnamon, stirring gently.
- Drizzle the honey over the almond mixture, stirring until the almonds and cranberries are coated.
- Spoon the almond mixture into the apple cavities. Replace the tops. Place the apples in the baking dish. Bake, covered loosely with aluminum foil, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender and lightly golden.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the American Heart Association.