Lean Into Stretch ExercisesJan 5, 2021
Whether you’ve done stretching routines as an athlete or you’re a complete starter, these three stretching exercises may be beneficial to your heart health. Follow the steps below for each exercise for proper execution.
- Place your palms at the back of your head.
- Stretch your elbows back while squeezing with your upper back. You should feel a stretch on your chest near the underarms.
- Hold this position for 20-30 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise once per set.
- Lift your shoulders up toward your ears. You can lift both simultaneously or do it one shoulder at a time.
- Then, in a circular motion, slowly move your shoulders down and backwards.
- Repeat this exercise 5-10 times per set.
- Place your right leg on a railing or a chair.
- Keep your left leg straight to achieve a 90-degree angle with your other leg.
- Lean forward, then touch the toes of your right leg. Avoid bouncing.
- Switch legs and do the same stretching process.
- Repeat this exercise 1-2 times per set.
Exercises courtesy of the American Heart Association
American Heart Association