9 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Weight Loss Surgery
How could losing a significant amount of weight change your life?After trying other ways to get to the weight that makes you feel good, you may want to explore the option of surgery. To make sure that you are completely informed, make a list of questions for your doctor visit, or take with you to an introductory seminar. Here are a few suggestions to get you started:
- Do I have surgery options? What is the difference in results?
- If I do not have surgery, what is the risk?
- What can I expect for the outcome?
- How much pain can I expect, and how will it be managed in the hospital and after I go home?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What will I be able to eat/not eat after bariatric surgery?
- How long will it take to lose weight, and what can I do to maintain weight loss?
- What are the major and/or most frequent complications of surgery?
- What can I do to decrease my risk of complications?
The decision to have weight loss surgery typically happens after many years of trying other methods to lose weight. But why wait? Attend a seminar or make an appointment with a doctor to learn how bariatric surgery could make a positive difference in your life.
American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
Are you a Candidate?
Find out if weight loss surgery is right for you.
Speak to a Bariatric Surgery Patient Navigator
Fill out a contact form and we’ll connect you to our Bariatric Surgery Navigator.
Sign Up for Health Tips
Learn about upcoming events and health topics such as weight, pain, heart and more.