The Epilepsy Monitoring Unit
The Epilepsy Monitoring Unit at Carondelet St. Joseph’s Hospital specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy. Our trained medical, nursing and technical staff not only evaluates seizure disorders, but can also help create your individualized and comprehensive treatment plan to reduce or eliminate your seizure activity.
What is an Epilepsy Monitoring Unit?
The EMU is equipped with Long-Term Video Monitoring (LTVM), a specialized form of an EEG in which the patient is continuously monitored on video while brainwave activity is recorded. The goal is to allow physicians to:
- Identify the onset triggers for seizures
- Differentiate epileptic events from psychogenic seizures
- Establish the specific type of epilepsy
Who Can Participate in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit? Those who may be eligible candidates and could benefit from this testing include:
- People with epileptic seizure disorders
- Those experiencing symptoms of epilepsy
- Those individuals who are not experiencing seizure relief from medication, diet and/or devices
- Those with a family history of the disorder
- Anyone who has had a stroke or a brain infection
- Those who experienced high fevers during childhood
- People dealing with syncope, cardiac arrhythmias, transient ischemic attacks, narcolepsy, other sleep disturbances, psychogenic seizures or other behavioral disorders.
Epileptic patients can have more than one type of seizure and the seizures can range in severity; it may even be difficult to determine when you are having a seizure. Our staff will monitor the frequency and location of seizure activity in your brain, as well as the duration of each incident and its effect on your body. We offer:
- Two dedicated private rooms
- 24-hour access to an Epileptologist physician
- 24-hour monitoring by a qualified EEG technician
- The ability to quickly identify your seizure activity, type of seizure, and the location of onset
- Appropriately placed cushioning devices for your protection
- Advanced video recording
- A comfortable environment